Basics of M.tech
M. Tech – Master of Technology which is one of the highly popular and credible post graduate program in respective discipline. M. Tech is among the universal accepted post graduate degree program being offered by all top rated universities and colleges. Most of the m. tech courses are of 2 years of duration where the students need to pass through their extensive education in particular field of engineering or technology. Students after completing 4 years of Engineering Bachelor programs or 5 years of undergraduate degree program in applied science can apply for master of technology
M. Tech courses are equivalent to M.S Degrees and M.Phil degrees in science and humanity where as it treated to be lesser than Ph.D level.
This degree course is offered under the following categories:
- Regular (Full-Time)
- Sponsored (Full-Time)
- Part Time M.tech
- Project Staff (For those who are presently working on sponsored projects)
This master degree programme is also receptive to working diploma holders or diploma holders having work experience for specified period.
In India, this master degree is regulated under the aegis of University Grants Commission of India (UGC), All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and National Board of Accreditation (NBA). Admissions to ME/M.Tech programmes offered by technical colleges and universities in India is made through a National level/State-level/Institute-level engineering entrance examination.
Why Master of Technology (M.Tech)?
- The Master of Engineering degree is considered to be essential for Engineers to find top-tier jobs with high salary packages.
- Engineering is applied in all fields and most professional practices.
- Engineering students are trained to work both theoretically and practically, with research and application-based Engineering.
- The career in Research and Development prefers Masters over Bachelors.
- While pursuing a masters degree, the candidates will be exposed to the applications of engineering in day-to-day life a little more. So it helps in getting more insight into the subjects.
- You will get the preference for promotion in the place of work.
- A masters degree improve chances of getting placed in core companies.
- Pursuing M.Tech after B.Tech provides sufficient time to get deep technical knowledge of the subject and have more control over it.
Scope for Master of Technology [M. Tech]:
Engineering graduates are given abundant job options with good salary packages that include:
- Maintenance etc
- Engineering involves trying and testing methods to arrive at practical and efficient solutions both in terms of cost and performance.
- The vast scope for improvement and evolution of technology ensures a high demand for engineers in the market at all times.
- Engineering graduates usually begin with a salary of about Rs. 30,000 per month or more. Salary packages go into much larger numbers over years of work experience.
The benefits of an M.Tech degree:
The demand for engineers is generally pretty high at all times. This is because they form a vital part of the educated and skilled workforce of any country. With every country persistently engaged in the processes of development and improvement, there are thousands of areas where engineering knowledge is required. An M.Tech degree has the dual advantage as it opens up the avenues of twin careers of a professional engineer as well as a managerial role. Benefits include:
- Pursuing M.Tech after B.Tech gives sufficient time to get deep technical knowledge of the subject and have more control over it.
- Degree of M.Tech enhances your professional qualifications and builds up a strong social industrial network through which we are able to get top notch jobs.
- There are opportunities to shift into managerial roles as one gains greater experience in the technical field.
Areas of Opportunities for M.Tech Graduates:
An M.Tech graduate has a number of career opportunities open for him. The rapid pace of development in the country and the need for skilled engineers has meant that there are a number of vistas for M.Tech graduates.
The following are some of the career options that a student can avail after his M.Tech degree:
- Corporate Sector: In case the person pursues his M.Tech from a college of repute, then there are a number of opportunities in the corporate sector. Almost all fields of engineering offer possible employment. The Employment opportunities after M.Tech include offers from: consulting companies (TCE Consulting Engineers Ltd., Zinnov Research & Consulting etc.); Core Engineering Companies (Punj Lloyd, L&T ECC); R & D Centers (BARC, ISRO etc.)
- Research & Development: The opportunity of super-specialization and further studies (for example PhD) is always open after completing the M.Tech degree.
- Teaching Profession is another career opportunity available after completing one’s M.Tech. With a number of colleges opening in the country, there are a number of jobs available for teachers.
How to pursue an M.Tech degree in India?
In order to pursue M.Tech in India from Top Colleges, an aspirant needs to take GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) which is jointly conducted by IITs and IISC, Bangalore. The exam generally takes place in February. Depending on the GATE score, aspirants can also apply for financial assistance. For Teaching Assistantship, Research Assistantship, and Financial Assistance is offered for a valid GATE score.
There are many top notch colleges that are considered as best for pursuing M.Tech. Apart from the colleges of IITs, NITs, IIITs, and BITs, IISc Bangalore is also one of the best colleges that offer an M.Tech degree. Admission to M.Tech course in few colleges is purely on the basis of academic performance in B.Tech course.
GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. The exam checks the aspirants’ knowledge of a specific domain which was covered during his Graduation (B.E or B. Tech or B. Arch). GATE is jointly conducted by the IITs and IISc Bangalore on behalf of the National Coordination Board (GATE -MHRD). For those who have a good hold over technical subjects of engineering and also have a keen interest to enhance their skills in the same arena, GATE is the route of entry to the recognized Post Graduate or Doctoral programs in India.
Why Take GATE Exam?
GATE scores are required for the following purposes:
- For admission to M Tech, M.E or PhD programs in various MHRD recognized colleges all over the country.
- As a Selection (screening) criterion in some of the Public sector organizations in the country (GAIL, HPCL, DDA, IOCL, BPCL, NTPC, BEL, and NALCO).
- As a basic requirement for fellowship programs.
- For obtaining financial assistance during Masters programs.
- For obtaining financial assistance for Doctoral programs in Engineering/Technology/Architecture or other MHRD recognized institutes.
- For obtaining financial assistance for Doctoral programs in Sciences’ stream under MHRD recognized institutes.
Eligibility Criteria for ME/M.Tech
The basic eligibility requirement for admission to ME/M.Tech programme is:
- Candidates who have completed their BE/B.Tech degree with a valid score in GATE are eligible for ME/M.Tech degree course.
- Candidates who have completed a 5-year program in Science or Applied Sciences resulting in the award of a Master of Science degree are also eligible for Master of Engineering course.
- Admission is based on rank obtained in the entrance test conducted for ME./M.Tech.
*Please note that the ME/MTech eligibility criteria would vary from institute to institute.
Course Curriculum for ME/M.Tech
The course curriculum for every ME/M.Tech specialization is different. Herein the syllabus. Course curriculum for some of the popular ME/M.Tech specializations.
- Chemical Engineering
- Process Control and Instrumentation Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Power Systems Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Thermal Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- VLSI System Design
List of some Engineering courses having M.tech in India
- Aerospace Engineering
- Computer Science Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Information Technology
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Automation and Robotics
Jobs And Placements for Master of Technology [M. Tech]:
- Engineering graduates often have the opportunity to find their preferred jobs through campus placements itself, during the course.
- In India, the most placements are for IT companies which includes: Infosys, TCS, Capgemini, Oracle, IBM, Wipro, Microsoft, Accenture, Amazon, Flipkart etc
- The average annual salary is about Rs. 6,00,000.
- For highest ranking colleges (IITs, NITs etc.), placement salary packages range from Rs. 7,00,000 to as high as Rs. 1,50,00,000 for deserving candidates.
- After obtaining a Masters in Engineering, graduates can take up teaching jobs at universities where the salary may range from Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 80,000 per month.
- Many Engineers also get placed in the Indian Army, Air Force, and Navy for a variety of job types.