Ph.D : Admission Process
In India, universities have rights to set their own procedure and standards for the Ph.D. programme admissions. But the set of requirements for the application are similar.
This is referred to as NET (National Eligibility Test) and is administered by the University Grants Commission (UGC) for most subjects, with the exception of Science and Engineering which are covered by CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research)
Some such entrance exams conducted for admission to Ph.D in Education are:
- UGC NET exam
- Symbiosis PhD Entrance Examination
- AIMA PhD Entrance Exam
- JNU PhD Entrance Exam
- NIPER PhD Entrance Exam
- Alagappa University PhD Entrance Exam
- Kurukshetra University PhD Entrance Exam
- University of Hyderabad PhD Entrance Exam
- GTU PhD Entrance Exam
- PhD Examination: Mohan Lal Sukhadia University, Udaipur
- BR Ambedkar Open University PhD Entrance Exam
- BITS Pilani PhD Entrance Examination
- ICT Mumbai PhD Entrance Exam
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute PhD Entrance Exam
- Osmania University PhD Entrance Exam
- AIIMS PhD Entrance Exam
- IISC PhD Entrance Exam
Ph.D Course Structure
Steps that candidates need to follow when pursuing a PhD course in order to be conferred a PhD degree are listed below:
- Once candidates are selected for PhD courses offered at educational institutes they need to submit their Research Proposal along with their Research Topic.
- Then, candidates are allocated a research supervisor/ guide.
- After this candidates are provided details of the Course Work, evaluation methodology and the teaching schedule by the Research Programme Coordinator/ Guide/ Supervisor.
- While performing research work most educational institutes require aspirants to submit six month progress reports for their research work.
- Further, as a Research Student one needs to give at least two seminar presentations as part of their tenure as a Research Scholar and thereafter submit a Certificate in the prescribed format to the Research Unit.
- Next, PhD students need to publish at least one research paper in a peer reviewed/refereed Journal and also submit a Certificate in the prescribed format to the Research Unit before they submit their PhD thesis.
- Before aspirants submit their thesis, their supervisor or guide will organise a Pre-submission Seminar. This seminar will be open to all. As part of this seminar a report will be submitted which will include suggestions for improvement and the supervisor would ensure that candidates incorporate all these suggestions in the final thesis.
- Candidates then need to incorporate all the changes and submit a summary of their thesis to their supervisor or guide at least 45 days before the submission of the thesis.
- Finally, candidates need to submit their thesis in hard copy as well as soft copy. This thesis will be examined by external experts. In case any expert suggests any modifications in the research paper submitted by the candidate then he/ she needs to re-submit a modified thesis.
- Next, a viva-voce is conducted wherein candidates can openly defend their thesis and present their point of view before a panel of experts.
- Candidates who complete all these steps to perfection would only be conferred a PhD degree.
Some popular Ph.D Programmes in different schemes :
Popular course in Humanities:
|PhD in Humanities||PhD in Social Sciences||PhD in Arts|
|PhD Economics||PhD in Public and Economic Policy||PhD in International Relations and Politics|
|PhD Geography||PhD in Humanities & Social Sciences||PhD in Physiology|
|PhD in Social Work||PhD in Humanities and Life Sciences||PhD in Public Policy|
|PhD in English||PhD in Psychology||PhD in Literature|
Popular course in Science:
|PhD in Chemistry||PhD Biotechnology||PhD Zoology|
|PhD in Clinical Research||PhD in Mathematical and Computational Sciences||PhD in Physics|
|PhD in Science||PhD in Environmental Science and Engineering||PhD in Basic and Applied Sciences|
|PhD in Bioscience||PhD in Applied Chemistry & Polymer Technology||Phd in Mathematics|
|PhD in Bioinformatics||PhD in Applied Sciences||PhD in Zoology|
Popular courses in Commerce:
|PhD in Commerce Management||PhD in Civil Engineering||PhD in Electronics and Communication Engineering|
|PhD in Accounting and Financial Management||PhD Program in Quantitative Techniques||PhD Computer Science Engineering|
|Popular PhD Courses in Engineering||PhD in Engineering and Technology||PhD Electronics & Communication Engineering|
|PhD in Engineering||PhD in Ceramic Engineering||PhD in Marine Biotechnology|
|PhD in Genetic Engineering||PhD in Production Engineering||PhD in Chemical Engineering|
Popular courses in Business and Management:
|PhD Business Administration||PhD in Commerce||PhD in Management|
|PhD in Commerce and Management||PhD in Accounting and Financial Management||PhD in Marketing/ Brand Management|
|PhD in Aviation Management||PhD in Logistics and Supply Chain Management|
Popular courses in Law:
|PhD in Law||PhD in Constitutional Law||PhD in Law and Governance|
List of top Universities/ Colleges of Ph.D in India :
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
Scoring full marks in factors like Academic Reputation and Employer Reputation, The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay acquired the 1st position among all the PhD universities in India.
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Located in Bengaluru, Karnataka also known as the “Silicon Valley of India”, the Institute claims the 170th place in the Best PhD universities in India by QS Global Rank.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
With a joint rank of 264 as per QS Global Rank, IIT Madras is 3rd among the Top 10 PhD universities in India.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi is ranked 4th among the PhD universities in India and a world rank of 172nd among all the institutes of the world.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
Rank 5th is acquired by IIT Kharagpur which is located in West Bengal in India. The Institute scored the highest scores in International Faculty Factor to claim a joint rank of 295th in QS World University Rankings.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
With a global rank of 283, the institute is ranked 6th among the Top 10 PhD universities in India. IIT Kanpur scored a perfect score in the Staff with a PhD factor.
- University of Hyderabad
Finally, a non-IIT university to mark its presence in the Best PhD universities in India. The University of Hyderabad holds a rank global rank between 591-600 and currently ranked among all the PhD universities in BRICS Nations.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
Known as the oldest technical institute in Asia, IIT Roorkee holds the 9th rank among the PhD universities in India. The institute scored the highest marks in the top 10 for the factor of International Students Indicator. IIT Roorkee holds a global rank of 381 and a BRICS rank of 47.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
Although it holds 10th rank among the PhD universities in India, IIT Guwahati scored the perfect score as per the Staff with PhD factor. The Institute is worldwide famous for its campus and infrastructure.