Staff Selection Commission (SSC) is an organisation under Government of India to recruit staff for various posts in the various Ministries and Departments of the Government of India and in Subordinate Offices
This commission is an attached office of the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) which consists of Chairman, two Members and a Secretary-cum-Controller of Examinations. His post is equivalent to the level of Additional Secretary to the Government of India.
The Estimates committee in the Parliament recommended the setting up of a Service Selection Commission in its 47th report (1967–68) for conducting examinations to recruit lower categories of posts. Later, in the Department of Personnel and Administrative Reforms, on 4 November 1975 Government of India constituted a commission called Subordinate Service Commission. On 26 September 1977, Subordinate Services Commission was renamed as Staff Selection Commission. The functions of Staff Selection Commission were redefined by The Government of India through Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and on 21 May 1999. Then the new constitution and functions of Staff Selection Commission (SSC) came into effect from 1 June 1999. Every year SSC conducts the SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination for recruiting non-gazetted officers to various government jobs.
Staff Selection Commission has its headquarters located at New Delhi. At present, it has seven Regional offices at Prayagraj, Mumbai, Kolkata, Guwahati, Chennai, Bangalore and New Delhi. It also has two Sub- Regional offices at Raipur and Chandigarh.
Exams conducted by SSC
SSC currently functions as a subordinate office of DOPT and is mainly engaged in conducting competitive exams for recruitment to various posts in the SSC departments, organizations. In the previous years, SSC has conducted various exams as given below
- SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination (SSC CGL)
- SSC Combined Higher Secondary Level Exam (SSC CHSL)
- Junior Engineer
- Selection Post
- SI (Central Police Organization)
- Stenographer C & D
- "Braj Raj Sharma to continue as SSC chairman for 2 more years, post retirement: Govt". outlookindia.com. Retrieved 4 May 2020.
- "SSC CHSL 2018: Syllabus, Exam Pattern, Dates, Admit Card, Result, Cut Off - Times of India". indiatimes.com. Retrieved 30 March 2018.
- HSSC – Haryana Staff Selection Commission
- JKSSB – Jammu and Kashmir Services Selection Board
- KPSC – Kerala Public Service Commission
- KPSC – Karnataka Public Service Commission
- HPPSC – Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission
- PSCWB – West Bengal Public Service Commission